Zhongde Taoist Temple (Zhong De Gong 种德宫)

Zhongde Taoist Temple was built before 1662, and originally located to the west of Kulangsu, where the west slope of the north branch of Hen Hill met the small river. Known as “Da Dao Gong Temple”, the original temple was destroyed during the Qing Dynasty. The new temple was built in its current location in Nei Cuo Ao, and is now the only temple dedicated to the Baosheng Emperor. The origina...

Continue Reading →

Sunlight Rock Temple (Ri Guang Yan Si 日光岩寺)

Sunlight Rock Temple, originally named “Lotus Nunnery”, was rebuilt in the 14th Year of the Wanli Reign of the Ming Dynasty (AD 1586). The main hall, General Funds Hall (Yuan Tong Bao Dian), is a huge cave carved into a rock at the hill’s peak and supported by stone columns and crosspieces, hence the nickname “One Tile Roof”. In 1936, the eminen...

Continue Reading →