Former Kulangsu Mixed Court (Hui Shen Gong Tang 会审公堂)

The Gulangyu Mixed Court, designed in was built by the English Presbyterian Mission in early Modernist style after permanently leased this parcel of land in 1915. After being sold twice, this building became the residence of the “Sugar King of Java,” the Indonesian born Xiamenese Huang Zhonghan. The Kulangsu Mixed Court rented this building as their office during the 1920s and 30s. Today, the building is a private residence complex, but it’s still a head-turner of an architectural achievement, and easy to appreciate from the outside. Address: 1 Bishan Road, Gulangyu Island, Xiamen City, China 鼓浪屿会审公堂旧址,是鼓浪屿重要的司法机构建筑遗存,该处两座建筑现在是笔山路1号与笔山路3号,至今保存完好。这处土地1915年曾由英国长老会租下,之后该处别墅用地经两次转手,现存的两座建筑曾经是厦门籍印尼华侨黄仲涵名下的产业。20世纪20年代末,鼓浪屿会审公堂曾经借用这两座与当时工部局办公楼临近的别墅办公。这处院落占地面积5600多平方米,院内共有两栋两层的洋楼,两座建筑基本对称,形式比较简洁,具有早期的现代建筑风格,建筑面积都是500多平方米。 地址:厦门市思明区鼓浪屿笔山路1号

Continue Reading →

Conservation + protection

Kulangsu is under the protection of many Chinese or international conventions, laws and regulations on heritage conservation. A scientific and effective management scheme has been set up to guide the dedicated authorities to take appropriate protection measures, including preparation and implementation of special plan on protection and management of heritage area, and standardization of decision-making mechanism of protection and project review and management process. Coordinate the heritage protection and community development. Encourage local community to actively participate in the conservation process. 1. Overall Conservation Kulangsu is a heritage site comprising of complex heritage elements. Laws and regulations concerning protection of world heritage and scenic areas in China provide the guidelines for protection of the historic roads, spatial layout, streets and communities on the Island and overall conservation. State Administration of cultural heritage of people’s republic of china,Construction and Planning Department and other management authorities are responsible for the conservation. 2. Conservation of historical buildings, yards and structures There are two levels of protection of Kulangsu’s historic buildings. Those included into the system of cultural heritage site protection are mainly protected through China’s cultural heritage protection and management system; those included into the system of historical building protection are protected through the system of historical building protection established by the Xiamen Special Economic Zone. 3. Conservation of natural landscapes and cultural relics There are rich natural landscapes and cultural relics on Kulangsu. The former is under the management of Kulangsu Management Committee under the guidance of construction and planning department at higher level while the latter is under guidance of culture heritage administration department at higher level. 4. Focus on community requirements and encourage community engagement in heritage conservation Local community is the cradle for heritage attributes on Kulangsu, also the fundamental for preservation of the heritage values. When drafting the protection strategy for cultural relics,Xiamen city and Kulangsu Heritage Administrative Committee always follow the principles to unite the community rights and requirements for social development via good communication with the local community and stakeholders. The Regulations of Xiamen Special Economic Zone for the Protection of Kulangsu Cultural Heritage is another legislation to protect the rights of local communities who are encouraged to be involved in conservation of heritage site. There are many voluntarily groups dedicated to conservation of the cultural relics on Kulangsu. “Kulang Dialect” is one example. This society initiated by local residents work with local administrative authorities and…

Continue Reading →

Former South Fukien Christian Bookstore (Min Nan Sheng Shu Gong Hui Sheng Jiao Shu Ju 闽南圣书工会圣教书局)

The Former Southern Fukien (Fujian) Christian Bookstore was founded in 1908 on Dadai Road on Kulangsu by Chinese and foreign believers of the Christian Missionary Society Bible Society. The bookstore mainly sold Bibles published by the Protestant Episcopal Church in Shanghai, and also published books such as the Hymns of South Fukien in South Fujian dialect and the Alphabetic Dictionary of South Fujian Dialect. Some church members donated the land and funds to build a three-story house on Fujian Road as the new location of the Bookstore in 1932. There are over 100 titles of books in South Fujian dialect, and all of the books published by the bookstore were sold not only on Kulangsu and in Xiamen but also throughout South Fujian and Southeast Asia. The old bookstore is still open with its religious murals on the walls, now operating as a simple café and lunch stop serving typical local food. Address:43 Fujian Road, Gulangyu Island, Siming District, Xiamen City, China 由海内外基督教传道会圣经协会的教众,于1908年在鼓浪屿上建立的闽南圣书工会圣教书局,主要贩售圣经和一些福建方言字典。这里有超过100种福建南方方言的书籍,这些书籍不单在鼓浪屿和厦门地区出售,同时也卖到其它福建南部城市和东南亚地区。目前,书店仍有营业,但店里部分区域已经改造成了一个简单的餐厅,提供一些当地的传统美食。 地址:厦门市思明区鼓浪屿福建路43号

Continue Reading →

Zhongde Taoist Temple (Zhong De Gong 种德宫)

Zhongde Taoist Temple was built before 1662, and originally located to the west of Kulangsu, where the west slope of the north branch of Hen Hill met the small river. Known as “Da Dao Gong Temple”, the original temple was destroyed during the Qing Dynasty. The new temple was built in its current location in Nei Cuo Ao, and is now the only temple dedicated to the Baosheng Emperor. The original temple was named “Old Temple” and the river in front of the temple was “Old Temple River”. Address:373 Neicuoao Road, Gulangyu Island, Siming District, Xiamen City, China 岛上的种德宫最初坐落于岛屿西部鸡母山向北延伸支脉西麓坡地濒临小河处,那里背山面海,是岛上最早的居民点。该种德宫建立于1622年以前,信众称之为大道公庵,后来该种德宫荒废,在今天的内厝澳地区现址募资新建了种德宫,原来的被称为旧庵,那里的小河后来被称为旧庵河。 地址:厦门市思明区鼓浪屿内厝澳路373号

Continue Reading →

Union Church (Xie He Li Bai Tang协和礼拜堂)

Union Church, Kulangsu’s earliest church, was built in 1863. The church was named as “The International Church”in the beginning and renamed as “Union Church” in 1875. Its construction was funded by believers from three denominations, the American Reformed Church, London Missionary Society, and English Presbyterian Mission. The Union Church was rebuilt again in 1911. Address: Lujiao Road, Gulangyu Island, Siming District, Xiamen City, China (Near Catholic Church) 建于1863年,是鼓浪屿最早的教堂,由岛上美国归整教会、英国伦敦工会、英国长老会信徒捐款兴建,时称“国际礼拜堂”1875年改称“协和礼拜堂”,1911年翻建。 地址:厦门市思明区鼓浪屿鹿礁路(近天主堂)

Continue Reading →