Mei Hua beach(Mei Hua Sha Tan 美华沙滩)

As elderly Xiamen and Gulangyu people’s favorite beach, Mei Hua beach is a perfect place for outdoor swimming because of its water quality and soft sands.  This is also is where the famous “Gulang Stone” is located.

Address: Gusheng Road, Gulangyu Island, Siming District, Xiamen City, China



Continue Reading →

Anxian Hall (An Xian Lou 安献楼)

The American Seventh-day Adventist missionary B.L.Anderson came to Kulangsu in 1906. He bought a large tract of land in “Wugepai” to build a school and set up farms and dairies to provide work-study programs for students. Anderson used the profits from farms and dairies, and funds donated by Americans in the late 1920s, to buy land on Jishan road, where in 1934 he built a three-storey granite “Girls’ school”. In memory of Anderson, the building is also named “Anxian Hall”. Xiamen Music School was using it from 1990-1996.

Address:18 Jishan Road, Gulangyu Island, Siming District, Xiamen City, China



Continue Reading →

Former Office of Great Northern Telegraph Company (Denmark) (Dan Mai Da Bei Dian Bao Gong Si 丹麦大北电报公司)

In 1871, the Great Northern Telegraph Company began operations on Kulangsu’s Tianwei Road.  It laid the telegraph service’s submarine cables connecting Shanghai, Xiamen and Hong Kong. It was also the office for the Kulangsu Danish consular agent.

Address: 21 Tianwei Road, Gulangyu Island, Siming District, Xiamen City, China



Continue Reading →

Former United States Consulate (Mei Guo Ling Shi Guan Jiu Zhi 美国领事馆旧址)

The American government obtained the land for this sweeping brick property, near the [San Qiu Tian tourist ferry port], after negotiations with the Qing Dynasty government in 1871 but did not build its consulate until 1893. The former consulate was destroyed in a fire in 1904 and the existing consulate was built in 1930 in the American Classical Revival style by using red bricks imported from the United States. The building is currently privately rented, and the interior cannot be visited, but the gardens and sprawling mansion are visible from the street by the San Qiu Tian ferry.

Address:26 Sanming Road, Gulangyu Island, Siming District, Xiamen City, China




Continue Reading →

Former Japanese Consulate, Police Station, and Staff Quarters (Ri Ben Ling Shi Guan Jiu Zhi 日本领事馆旧址)

The former Japanese Consulate, built in 1879, is the only 19th century embassy building still intact upon Kulangsu. The Japanese Police Station and Staff Quarters were built on the south side in 1928. In 1936, the Japanese consulate became the Japan consulate general. In 1937, after the outbreak of the Anti-Japanese War, the consulate was closed, but reopened after the Japanese occupation of Xiamen in 1938. After the victory over Japan, all assets of the consulate were confiscated by the ROC government.

Address:24、26、28 Lujiao Road, Gulangyu Island, Siming District, Xiamen City, China



Continue Reading →