Anxian Hall (An Xian Lou 安献楼)

The American Seventh-day Adventist missionary B.L.Anderson came to Kulangsu in 1906. He bought a large tract of land in “Wugepai” to build a school and set up farms and dairies to provide work-study programs for students. Anderson used the profits from farms and dairies, and funds donated by Americans in the late 1920s, to buy land on Jishan road, where in 1934 he built a three-storey granite “Girls’ school”. In memory of Anderson, the building is also named “Anxian Hall”. Xiamen Music School was using it from 1990-1996. Address:18 Jishan Road, Gulangyu Island, Siming District, Xiamen City, China 美国基督教安息日会的安礼逊于1906年来到鼓浪屿,当时他买下了一大块地来建立学校、农场和奶牛养殖场,为学生们提供了一个半工半读的机会。安礼逊用农场和养殖场赚来的和美国人捐助的资金,于1934年,在鸡山路建立了一所三层楼的“女子”学校。为了纪念安礼逊,这栋楼被取名为“安献楼”。厦门音乐学校建于此地,1990-1996在此办学。 地址:厦门市思明区鼓浪屿鸡山路18号

Continue Reading →

Former Office of Great Northern Telegraph Company (Denmark) (Dan Mai Da Bei Dian Bao Gong Si 丹麦大北电报公司)

In 1871, the Great Northern Telegraph Company began operations on Kulangsu’s Tianwei Road.  It laid the telegraph service’s submarine cables connecting Shanghai, Xiamen and Hong Kong. It was also the office for the Kulangsu Danish consular agent. Address: 21 Tianwei Road, Gulangyu Island, Siming District, Xiamen City, China 1871年,大北电报公司在鼓浪屿上的田尾路开办。它的水下电报服务通信线路连接了上海、厦门和香港。这家公司也是当时鼓浪屿丹麦领事的办公室。 地址:厦门市思明区鼓浪屿田尾路21号

Continue Reading →

Former United States Consulate (Mei Guo Ling Shi Guan Jiu Zhi 美国领事馆旧址)

The American government obtained the land for this sweeping brick property, near the [San Qiu Tian tourist ferry port], after negotiations with the Qing Dynasty government in 1871 but did not build its consulate until 1893. The former consulate was destroyed in a fire in 1904 and the existing consulate was built in 1930 in the American Classical Revival style by using red bricks imported from the United States. The building is currently privately rented, and the interior cannot be visited, but the gardens and sprawling mansion are visible from the street by the San Qiu Tian ferry. Address:26 Sanming Road, Gulangyu Island, Siming District, Xiamen City, China 早在1871年,美国政府在与清朝政府谈判后就拿到了这块土地,但直到1893年才建立了美国领事馆。前美国领事馆在1904年的一场大火中被烧毁了,而后在1930年建立了目前我们看到的美国古典复兴风格的领事馆。 地址:厦门市思明区鼓浪屿三明路26号  

Continue Reading →

Former Japanese Consulate, Police Station, and Staff Quarters (Ri Ben Ling Shi Guan Jiu Zhi 日本领事馆旧址)

The former Japanese Consulate, built in 1879, is the only 19th century embassy building still intact upon Kulangsu. The Japanese Police Station and Staff Quarters were built on the south side in 1928. In 1936, the Japanese consulate became the Japan consulate general. In 1937, after the outbreak of the Anti-Japanese War, the consulate was closed, but reopened after the Japanese occupation of Xiamen in 1938. After the victory over Japan, all assets of the consulate were confiscated by the ROC government. Address:24、26、28 Lujiao Road, Gulangyu Island, Siming District, Xiamen City, China 日本领事馆旧址建于1879,是鼓浪屿十九世纪至今仍然完整留存的大使馆建筑。1928年日本的警察局和员工住所被建立在大使馆的南侧。该领事馆一度因国内抗日战争而被关闭,又随着日本占领厦门而开放。在抗日战争胜利后,领事馆被中华民国政府充公。 地址:厦门市思明区鼓浪屿鹿礁路24、26、28号

Continue Reading →

Kulangsu Organ Museum (Eight Diagrams Mansion / Bagua Mansion) (Ba Gua Lou 八卦楼)

The Kulangsu organ museum’s beautiful red dome is visible from across the bay in Xiamen. The museum, housed in the old Bagua Mansion, is one of Kulangsu’s most important tourist attractions–both for its impressive collection of organs and for its stately and imposing architectural style. The Bagua Mansion, also known as Eight Diagrams Mansion, is a good representation of early  Xiamen architecture. It was constructed by Taiwan businessman Lin Heshou and designed by Dutch American John Abraham Otte, director of Hope Hospital, in 1907. Lin Heshou aspired to build a villa blending classical eastern and western architectural styles, but the project was so costly that Lin Heshou had to mortgage his properties to get a loan from the Japanese-owned “Bank of Taiwan”. Lin Heshou eventually went bankrupt and, leaving the project unfinished, hightailed it back to Taiwan, never to return. Afterwards the Japanese repaired the house and set up the “Xuying Study”. During the war with Japan, Bagua Mansion was a refugee asylum. After the war, it was taken over by the Kuomintang government. Address: 43 Guxin  Road, Gulangyu Island, Siming District, Xiamen City, China 八卦楼是现代厦门建筑典型的代表。在1907年,由救世医院的创办人,荷兰籍美国人郁约翰设计,然后由台湾商人林鹤寿投资建造起来的。林鹤寿渴望建造一栋结合中西建筑风格的公馆。而后,林鹤寿破产导致未修建完成的公馆被日本人收走改建成“旭瀛书院”。在中日战争结束后,八卦楼被国民党政府收走。近几年来八卦楼是管风琴博物馆,非常受游客喜爱。 地址:厦门市思明区鼓浪屿鼓新路43号

Continue Reading →