Yang Tao Hotel, Fu Xing Castle (Yang Tao Yuan Zi, Fu Xing Gu Bao Dian 杨桃院子, 复兴古堡店)

Surpassingly beautiful, unexpectedly artful, and deeply reminiscent of Kulangsu’s golden era, the Yang Tao Hotel in Fuxing Castle is an…

Continue Reading: Yang Tao Hotel, Fu Xing Castle (Yang Tao Yuan Zi, Fu Xing Gu Bao Dian 杨桃院子, 复兴古堡店)

Former Office of Great Northern Telegraph Company (Denmark) (Dan Mai Da Bei Dian Bao Gong Si 丹麦大北电报公司)

In 1871, the Great Northern Telegraph Company began operations on Kulangsu’s Tianwei Road.  It laid the telegraph service’s submarine cables connecting…

Continue Reading: Former Office of Great Northern Telegraph Company (Denmark) (Dan Mai Da Bei Dian Bao Gong Si 丹麦大北电报公司)

Former United States Consulate (Mei Guo Ling Shi Guan Jiu Zhi 美国领事馆旧址)

The American government obtained the land for this sweeping brick property, near the [San Qiu Tian tourist ferry port], after negotiations…

Continue Reading: Former United States Consulate (Mei Guo Ling Shi Guan Jiu Zhi 美国领事馆旧址)

Former Japanese Consulate, Police Station, and Staff Quarters (Ri Ben Ling Shi Guan Jiu Zhi 日本领事馆旧址)

The former Japanese Consulate, built in 1879, is the only 19th century embassy building still intact upon Kulangsu. The Japanese…

Continue Reading: Former Japanese Consulate, Police Station, and Staff Quarters (Ri Ben Ling Shi Guan Jiu Zhi 日本领事馆旧址)

Kulangsu Gallery of Foreign Artifacts from the Palace Museum Collection(Gu Gong Gu Lang Yu Wai Guo Wen Wu Guan 故宫鼓浪屿外国文物馆)

This spectacular new branch of the Palace Museum in Beijing’s Forbidden City opened in May 2017, after a long, ambitious…

Continue Reading: Kulangsu Gallery of Foreign Artifacts from the Palace Museum Collection(Gu Gong Gu Lang Yu Wai Guo Wen Wu Guan 故宫鼓浪屿外国文物馆)

Pianist Yin Chengzong’s house (Yin Cheng Zong Zhai 殷承宗宅)

Kulangsu’s most famous pianist, Yin Chengzong, still owns and periodically visits this hilltop house. It is one of the island’s most…

Continue Reading: Pianist Yin Chengzong’s house (Yin Cheng Zong Zhai 殷承宗宅)

Sunlight Rock Temple (Ri Guang Yan Si 日光岩寺)

Sunlight Rock Temple, originally named “Lotus Nunnery”, was rebuilt in the 14th Year of the Wanli Reign of the Ming…

Continue Reading: Sunlight Rock Temple (Ri Guang Yan Si 日光岩寺)