Former Kulangsu Mixed Court (Hui Shen Gong Tang 会审公堂)

The Gulangyu Mixed Court, designed in was built by the English Presbyterian Mission in early Modernist style after permanently leased this parcel of land in 1915. After being sold twice, this building became the residence of the “Sugar King of Java,” the Indonesian born Xiamenese Huang Zhonghan. The Kulangsu Mixed Court rented this building as their office during the 1920s and 30s. Today, th...

Continue Reading →

Former South Fukien Christian Bookstore (Min Nan Sheng Shu Gong Hui Sheng Jiao Shu Ju 闽南圣书工会圣教书局)

The Former Southern Fukien (Fujian) Christian Bookstore was founded in 1908 on Dadai Road on Kulangsu by Chinese and foreign believers of the Christian Missionary Society Bible Society. The bookstore mainly sold Bibles published ...

Continue Reading →

Zhongde Taoist Temple (Zhong De Gong 种德宫)

Zhongde Taoist Temple was built before 1662, and originally located to the west of Kulangsu, where the west slope of the north branch of Hen Hill met the small river. Known as “Da Dao Gong Temple”, the original temple was destroyed during the Qing Dynasty. The new temple was built in its current location in Nei Cuo Ao, and is now the only temple dedicated to the Baosheng Emperor. The origina...

Continue Reading →

Union Church (Xie He Li Bai Tang协和礼拜堂)

Union Church, Kulangsu’s earliest church, was built in 1863. The church was named as “The International Church”in the beginning and renamed as “Union Church” in 1875. Its construction was funded by believers from three denominations, the American Reformed Church, London Missionary Society, and English Presbyterian Mission. The Union Church was rebuilt again in 1911. Address: Lujiao Road, Gul...

Continue Reading →